WILLIAM A. WEB is the popular druggist at Dalton City, Moultrie County, and in
the compounding of medicines and remedies, is considered very expert. He is a dealer in
grain, buying from the country around, which is rich in its cereals, and finding a ready market with
the large grain buyers of Chicago. Our subject has been engaged in business at the same stand since
1873, at which date he became associated with George Ferro, under the firm name of Webb & Ferro,
dealing at first in the general mercantile business, and also in the grain business. He has remained
constant to his post of business ever since, and is now one of the oldest business men in the place,
and the leading grain merchants in the town.
Mr. Webb is a native of Kentucky, being born in Boyle County, May 27, 1841. He is a son of
William R. and Jane (Moore) Webb, natives of Virginia and Kentucky respectively, but married
in the latter State. In 1837 they emigrated to Parke County, Ind., and lived on a farm for a
short time. Thence they removed to Greencastle. In 1859 they removed to Decatur, Ill., and there
became proprietors of the Oglesby House, now known as the St. Nicholas. In 1862 they removed
to Mason, having traded the hotel property for a farm. Our subject's father subsequently retired
from the active business of agricultural life, and made his home in the village of Mason; he there
died in 1874. His wife had expired some years previous while residing in Decatur.
Our subject is one of a family of eight children, all of whom lived to be grown. By name they are
as follows: Lucy, Margaret, Theodocia, Richard, Jane H., Lewis F., William A. and Edward S.
Margaret married Joseph Ferguson, and is now a resident of Wichita. Kan.; Theodocia became the
wife of William H. Baird, of Mason, Ill.; Lewis resides at Mason. The father of our subject was a
Whig in his political preference, and during life was the incumbent of several local offices. He
served as Justice of the Peace for several years. In his religious preference he is a member of the Methodist
Episcopal Church, in which he was a Class-Leader, and throughout life a liberal supporter of
the Gospel work.
William Webb passed his early life in his father's hotel and on reaching his majority he entered the
grain trade at Mason and continued to be thus employed until he came to Dalton City, at which
place he became one of the first merchants. He sold out his interest in the store to Mr. Ferro and
gave his entire attention to his grain trade. He was also for four years station agent at Dalton.
He also dealt in live stock, and in 1891 established his drug business.
Mr. Webb was married in 1874 to Miss Retta B. Jeffries, of Philadelphia, Pa. The lady is a daughter
of Thomas J. Jeffries, a machinist and a manufacturer of car springs in the above named city.
Mr. and Mrs. Webb are the parents of one child. Politically our subject is a Republican, having been
brought up to that party and platform, and having imbibed the theories as held by the Republicans by
inheritance and youthful association as by cool judgment. Our subject has at different times held
various local offices. Socially he is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. In the
line of his business he also deals quite largely in agricultural implements and machinery.
Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, 1891 - p. 716/717
Transcription copyright 2003/2007, Moultrie County ILGenWeb/USGenWeb