JONATHAN PATTERSON, familiarly known throughout this part of the State as "Dock" Patterson, belongs
to a family of Scotch origin, the grandfather of our subject having been a native of the Highlands
of Scotland, when he received thorough training and education, and when a young man came with Gen.
Lafayette to the United States, where he served as a soldier through the latter part of the
Revolutionary War. He afterward settled in Tennessee and there married his first wife, who died
while in the prime of life in Marshall County. After her death Mr. Patterson removed to Muhlenberg
County, Ky., and there met and married his second wife and came to Illinois in 1828. His son, David,
the father of our subject, came to Illinois the same year, traveling overland with an ox-team and
a horse, the horse being hitched in front of the oxen. They brought their household goods with them
and after stopping for a short time in Edgar County, continued their travels in the same way to
Moultrie County, which they reached in March, 1833. After visiting in Shelby County they finally settled
near Sullivan, this county, and here David Patterson, the father of our subject, began life as a pioneer
in the wilds of the new country. He helped to lay out the present city of Sullivan and spent his last
years here, dying in October, 1867. His wife survived him for two years and passed away at an advanced
age. By her marriage to David Patterson she had four sons and three daughters, four of whom are still living.
David Patterson, the father of our subject, was born in Tennessee in 1806 and he was yet a young
man when he came to Illinois, and here he married Polly Harbaugh, whose parents, Jacob and Nancy (
Hill) Harbaugh, were of Pennsylvania Dutch stock and came from West Pittsburg, Pa., traveling down
the Ohio River on a flatboat, making the first settlement in Muhlenberg County, Ky. After the marriage
of their daughter, Polly, with David Patterson, the family came to Illinois and settled in what is
now Moultrie County in the year 1833, and here Mr. and Mrs. Harbaugh spent their last years and died
of old age. They were well-known and highly respected among the pioneers of this part of the State.
After David Patterson and his wife settled in this county they took a farm and improved it and spent
the remainder of their days here. Mr. Patterson died while on a visit in Marshall County, Tenn., in
October, 1866, but his remains were brought home and lie in the cemetery at Sullivan. His wife died
in August, 1869. They were members of the Christian Church and personal friends of Dr. Alexander
Campbell. Mr. Patterson was a prominent man in the Democratic ranks and for many years served as
Justice of the Peace and School Commissioner for a long while. He was County Judge for twelve years
and helped to organize the county and to get the bill through the Legislature, and also assisted in
locating the county seat.
"Dock" Patterson was the first born of his parents, his natal day being October 1, 1827, and his
native place being in Muhlenberg County, Ky. He was thus not quite a year old when his parents came
to Edgar County, this State, and was yet a child when they continued their migration to this county.
He received a log schoolhouse education and grew to manhood, taking up the occupation of a farmer a
nd stock-raiser. For forty years back he has been the favorite auctioneer at sales of stock all over
the county, and indeed throughout this portion of the State. In 1883 he came to Sullivan and bought
a livery stable which he is now managing on North Main Street.
Our subject was married in this county to Miss Julia A. Souther, who was born in Kentucky, October 10,
1829. She came north with her parents in the fall of 1833 and received her training and education in
this county. She is a woman of unusual ability, a faithful wife and affectionate mother. Of their
seven children four are deceased, namely: John, Mary, William A., and Charles H., while those who remain
in this life are, Sarah, the wife of Mack D. Philhower, a conductor on the Sante Fe Railroad, residing
in Pekin, Ill., and Nancy and Katie who are ate home with their parents. The positions of Deputy Sheriff
and Constable have for nine years been filled by Mr. Patterson and he has also been Township Collector.
His political views ally him with the Democracy and he is a member of the Blue Lodge of Masons, at Sullivan.
Both he and his lovely wife are identified with the Christian Church in which he has served as Deacon.
Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, 1891 - p. 259/260
Transcription copyright 2003/2007, Moultrie County ILGenWeb/USGenWeb