AARON J. LEWIS. As a fine type of the citizens who have contributed to the prosperity of Moultrie
County, the gentleman whose name introduces these paragraphs deserves especial mention. His splendid
farm comprises one hundred and two acres on sections 6 and 7 Lowe Township, and is embellished with
every necessary and convenient structure, good stock being kept and improved machinery used. The
residence is a home-like structure, in which good cheer for mind and body is always to be found.
During an honorable career as a sagacious agriculturist Mr. Lewis has displayed those solid traits
of character that are needful to the attainment of fortune in any calling, and in his dealings with
all he has ever shown himself to be a man of probity.
The immediate progenitors of our subject are James T. and Paulina (Hostetler) Lewis. The father,
now deceased, was born in Kentucky, but when quite young removed with his parents to Orange County,
Ind., where he grew to a vigorous manhood amid primeval scenes. When ready to establish a home of
his own he was married to Paulina Hostetler, a native of Indiana, where after their union they settled
in Orange County. This continued to be the home of the father until he closed his eyes to the scenes
of earth September 22, 1852. The mother still survives at the advanced age of eighty-one years, and
makes her home in Indiana. She is a noble-hearted woman, whose children may "rise and call her blessed".
She carefully reared her children, of whom there were eight, to fill positions of usefulness and
responsibility, and in working for their welfare her hands never wearied.
The subject of this notice is now in the prime of life, having been born March 23, 1839, in Orange
County, Ind. He was reared on a farm and early acquired a practical knowledge of agriculture, and
having a natural aptitude for this avocation, he chose it for his life calling when the time came
for him to start out in life for himself. At the age of twenty-four years he was married, March 23,
1863, in Lawrence County, Ind., to Miss Martha J. Coward, the daughter of William and Eliza (Martin)
Coward. Mr. Coward is supposed to have been a native of Tennessee, while the mother was born in Washington
County, Ind. They settled in Lawrence County, Ind., where the faithful mother died in 1854. Twenty years
later the father came to Moultrie County, Ill., of which he has since been a resident. Mrs. Lewis, who
was the fourth among seven children, was born in Lawrence County, Ind., November 7, 1844, and by careful
training at home she became well prepared for the responsibilities of her married life.
Immediately after marriage of our subject he brought his young bride to Moultrie County on a visit,
and both were so well pleased with the appearance of the country that they concluded to make it their
home. Accordingly, in the spring of 1864, they came hither to locate permanently, and this has since
been the scene of their active labors. Having from youth been engaged in agricultural pursuits, Mr.
Lewis is a practical agriculturist, and the air of thrift about his homestead indicates to every beholder
that he is a man of enterprise and good management. He settled on his present place in December, 1875,
and here he and his estimable wife have reared to maturity their seven children, whom they named as follows:
Benjamin F., Anna E., Mary E., William C., H.C., Gertie M. and Jessie L. Mr. Lewis has never been an
office-seeker but uniformly casts his ballot for the candidates of the Democratic party, whose principles
he believes to be right.
Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, 1891 - p. 298/299
Transcription copyright 2003/2007, Moultrie County ILGenWeb/USGenWeb