MICHAEL ERHARDT. Among the German-American citizens who have contributed so largely to
the development of Moultrie County and have been so prominently
connected with its progress, conspicuous mention belongs to Mr. Erhardt who owns and
curates a fine farm on section 10, Lowe Township. A worthy representative of the class of farmers
upon whom the prosperity of the world depends, he is pursuing his chosen avocation with energy
and skill. In every movement that is likely to advance the material or moral welfare of the citizens,
he is ever ready to bear what part he can, and he and his estimable wife are ever to be relied on
when there is need of neighborly service or friendly advice.
Mr. Erhardt is the son of the late George Erhardt, a native of Germany, who was married in
his native land to Barbara Erhardt, who was of the same name but no relative. In 1854 the parents
emigrated to America and directly after landing came to St. Louis, Mo., whence, after a residence
of one year, they removed to Sangamon County. Ill. Several years afterward they came to Douglas
County, where the father died in 1872. The mother survived him many years and passed from
earth in Moultrie County in 1886. Our subject, who was the youngest among five children, was
born in Germany, November 28, 1850. He was only about four years old when he was brought by
his parents to this country, of which he has ever since been a resident.
After passing the early years of his life in Sangamon County, Ill., and gaining the rudiments of
an education in its district schools, Mr. Erhardt accompanied his parents to Douglas County.
There he was married June 11, 1874, to Miss Catherine E. Hoover, daughter of Benjamin and
Nancy Hoover. Mr. Hoover resides in Arthur, Ill. He and his wife were the parents of nine children,
Mrs. Erhardt being the third, and she was born in Pennsylvania December 26, 1851. After their
marriage our subject and his wife located in Douglas County where they lived until 1881.
Upon coming to Moultrie County in 1881 Mr. Erhardt located on section 10, Lowe Township.
where he now owns one hundred and twenty acres of good land. Having followed farming pursuits
from his youth he has acquired a thorough practical knowledge of all its departments and has become
known as one of the most enterprising and successful farmers of the vicinity. He is a firm
believer in the principles of the Democratic party and supports its candidates with his ballot and influence.
He has held the offices of Highway Commissioner and School Director and has done efficient
service for the public in both capacities. He and his wife arc both active members of the Christian
Church, in which he has held the office of Elder. They are the parents of four children, Benjamin,
George, Freddie and Alfred. George and Alfred are deceased. The surviving children are receiving
excellent educations and bid fair to hold responsible positions in life.
Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, 1891 - p. 364/367
Transcription copyright 2003/2007, Moultrie County ILGenWeb/USGenWeb