GEORGE W. MONROE. Any agricultural community which is favored by the residence
within it of men of culture and education, having broad views and a wide outlook on
life, is to be heartily congratulated. Sullivan Township, Moultrie County, is thus favored in the
fact that Mr. Monroe, who was for so long a time active in the educational field, is now one of its
enterprising and energetic farmers, making his home on section 34.
This gentleman was born in the township where he now lives, March 10, 1855. His parents were
Henry J. and Sarah (Timmons) Monroe, the father being a native of Indiana, and the mother
of Ross County, Ohio. They were among the pioneers of Shelby County in the early days before
the separation of the two counties, and died in Moultrie County, the father in 1865, and the
mother in 1889. This revered and beloved parent was the mother of eight sons and two daughters,
and our subject was the sixth in order of age. All are still living, and now reside in Sullivan
Township, with the exception of one sister, Mrs. Wright, who lives in Shelbyville.
This happy family, who have the good fortune to be still united in this life, are named as follows:
Christopher, William H., Thomas, Isaac, Mary E., George W., M. T., John A., Julia A. and E. G.
All are married except Julia A., and are all devoted to agriculture with the exception of John
A., who is a clerk. That so honorable and enterprising a family should thus, almost without exception,
devote their lives to the development of the agricultural interests of Sullivan Township, is
n itself a guarantee that that section of our beautiful Prairie State will ever stand on a par
with any portion of Illinois.
Young George attended the public schools and the graded school at Sullivan, completing his
education at the Northern Indiana Normal School. He was thus fitted for the profession of teaching
at the age of twenty-two, and after presiding for six years over various country schools in Shelby
and Moultrie Counties, he was elected Principal of the school at Neoga, Cumberland County,
where he had three assistants. He remained there three successive years and was then sought by the
citizens of Mt. Pulaski to take charge as principal of their graded school, which was of high order
and a much larger school, having nine subordinate teachers.
During the three years while he was principal of the Mt. Pulaski schools, he contracted a matrimonial
alliance, choosing as his wife Miss Mary R. White, a native of Neoga Township, Cumberland
County, Ill., where she was born October 18, 1867. Their happy wedding day was November 26,1885.
During his connection with educational work he was frequently called upon to act as instructor in
institute and normal work.
In 1888 Mr. Monroe decided to retire from the educational field, and engage in farming. He
owns a fine property of two hundred and fifty-three acres, all in a high state of cultivation, with
good buildings and improvements, and he has proved that a thorough and systematic teacher can
make a thorough and systematic farmer. He is liberal in his political views, although he inclines
more strongly to the principles of the Republican party than to those of any other organization. In
the fall of 1890 he was placed in the field as a candidate for the office of County Superintendent
of Schools in Moultrie County, but his party, that of the farmers and laborers, being largely in the
minority, he of course suffered defeat, although he made an honorable and gallant fight. During his
professional career Mr. Monroe was a very popular and successful teacher, his services always in demand,
commanding the highest wages. Although he was employed in several different schools, he
never made a change, except where he was called by an increase of responsibility and a corresponding
increase of salary.
To Mr. and Mrs. Monroe have been born three beautiful little daughters. Their first-born, Zelma,
came to them November 27, 1886; Lorah, December 8, 1888; and Vergie, May 17, 1891. The
mother of these children is a woman of lovely Christian character, and a devoted and earnest
member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, 1891 - p. 523/524
Transcription copyright 2003/2007, Moultrie County ILGenWeb/USGenWeb