JOHN R. McCLURE. A successful general grocery man, doing business on the east side of the public
square at Sullivan, Moultrie County has recently erected a fine, two-story brick building, 70 x 25 1/2
feet with a basement, where he is carrying on an extensive business. His first store was opened
in January, 1857, since which time he has been a successful merchant, with the exception of fourteen
years, during which time he engaged in farming in Sullivan Township. He has lived in this county since
October, 1853, making his home either in Sullivan or vicinity, and ever showing himself an energetic
and public-spirited citizen.
Mr. McClure is active in local politics, being warmly attached to the Democratic party, and was
at one time an Alderman of the city. He is deeply interested in schools and a promoter of the cause
of education. He was born in Franklin County, Ind., August 8, 1835. His father, Lewis D. McClure
being also a native of that county and a son of William McClure, a Kentuckian who came of Scotch-Irish
descent, but whose parents were born in Virginia. They came to Kentucky in the time of Daniel Boone
and became pioneers near Lexington.
William McClure became a farmer and was married in Butler County, Ohio, to Miss Phebe Eads, an aunt
of the late Capt. Eads who built the great bridge at St. Louis, and also the builder of the Mississippi
River jetties. Some years after marriage this couple, about the beginning of the century, moved to
Franklin County, Ind., and there spent the remainder of their days, being past middle life at the time
of their decease. They were consistent and earnest members of the old-school Baptist Church. Lewis D.
McClure, the father of our subject, was born and reared in Franklin County, Ind., and learned the trade
of a blacksmith which he followed for a number of years, after which he undertook farming. He was married
in Franklin County to Miss Elizabeth Rockefellar, a kinswoman of the great oil speculator. Her parents,
John and Mary (Thorp) Rockefellar, were early settlers in Franklin County, coming there in 1805 from
Trenton, N.J., and there remaining through life. They were Methodists in their religious convictions.
After the birth of three children Lewis D. McClure and wife left Indiana with a team and wagon and after
a long and tedious journey landed in Clark County, Ill., where they settled upon the farm where they now
reside, Mr. McClure having reached the age of seventy-eight years and his wife being now eighty-two. They
have both been active workers in the Methodist Episcopal Church throughout life and they are enjoying a
quiet and peaceful old age.
John R. McClure is the eldest of six children, all but one of whom are still living. When eighteen years
old he set out for himself, coming to Sullivan County, where he began life as a poor boy with but little
means, and has now accumulated a comfortable but modest fortune. His marriage to Miss Sophronia Tichenor,
a native of Sullivan County, Ind., occurred in this county. She died in the prime of life, leaving two
children--Edgar who is at home and assists his father; and William, who took to wife Laura Matterson,
and lives in Sullivan City, although he also assists his father a part of the time, but is a printer by
trade. Mr. McClure was the second time married in Sullivan. Miss Julia Calkins, who was born in Licking
County, Ohio, becoming his wife. Her father, Uranius Calkins, lived to the age of four-score years, and
her mother is still living in Licking County, being now about three-score and ten. Mr. and Mrs. Calkins
were efficient and consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mrs. McClure, like her husband,
is a member of the Methodist Chruch, and is a true and good woman. She is bringing up her five children
in the Christian faith and giving them the best advantages possible for an educational and domestic training.
Their names are Charlie, Ida, Cora, Flora and Elmer. Mr. McClure is a charter member of the lodge of Odd
Fellows, and also of the Masonic lodge at Sullivan.
Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, 1891 - p. 209/210
Transcription copyright 2003/2007, Moultrie County ILGenWeb/USGenWeb