MARTIN L. LOWE. Among the successful business men of Sullivan, Moultrie County, we are pleased
to mention the name which appears at the head of this paragraph--the name of a prosperous dealer
in horses and the head of a livery stable and who also deals in all kinds of farming implements
and vehicles. He keeps a fine line of turnouts and horses at his place, which is well equipped
and where he has been conducting business since October, 1889. Near the city of Sullivan he also
has a good farm, owning about four hundred and fifty-two acres in this township and in East Nelson
Township, and also has one hundred and sixty acres in Douglas County. His large property is stocked
with about one hundred head of fine cattle and some fifty head of horses and he has among them some
fine animals of good grades.
Mr. Lowe bears the reputation of being an excellent business man and a "thoroughly good fellow,"
and he is well and favorably known to the people of Sullivan in and near which city he has lived
for twelve years. His native home was in Harrison County, W.Va., where he was born in 1858. He is
the son of John B. Lowe, a native of Virginia who was a farmer by occupation and died in Harrison
County in 1876 at the age of seventy-five years. He was the son of Old Dominion parents and our
subject was yet quite young at the time of his father's decease. His mother, whose maiden name was
Susan Robinson, died some years before. She was during most of her life a member of the Methodist
Episcopal Church and came of excellent Virginia stock.
Although bereaved of his parents in his youth, Martin Lowe was given an excellent education. He
was one of a numerous family, five of whom are yet living. He was early thrown upon his own resources
and became independent and so more quickly fitted for supporting himself and a family. He was married
in Harrison County, W. Va., to Miss Elizabeth K. Higginbotham, who was born in that county and came
of an old established family. George Higginbotham, her father, is now living at an advanced age in
Clarksburg, W. Va., and was bereaved of his wife, whose maiden name was Lydia Griffin, in 1879.
Mrs. Lowe, the wife of our subject, was one of a family of five children who received the best
advantages in an educational line and she shows marks of the culture which was bestowed upon her
in her youth, for she is a woman of unusual ability and intelligence, is a true wife and a faithful
mother and is bringing up her three lovely children -- Omar, Georgie and Lulu -- in the fear and
admonition of the Lord. She is an earnest and conscientious member of the Methodist Church and a
valued worker in every good effort. The political doctrines which receive the endorsement of Mr.
Lowe are those which are found in the declarations of the Democratic party.
Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, 1891 - p. 263
Transcription copyright 2003/2007, Moultrie County ILGenWeb/USGenWeb