WALTER K. HOOVER, M. D. This gentleman and physician, who is a resident of
Lovington, Moultrie County, is the son of the late David Hoover, who was born in Belmont
County, Ohio, in 1824. His mother was Sarah Calhoun, also a native of Belmont County,
Ohio. She was born in 1820. They first settled in Belmont County and afterward in Guernsey
County and thence went to Macon County, this State, in 1864. He was a farmer by occupation.
He died in Macon County, Ill., in July, 1890, and his wife preceded him some years to the better
land. They were the parents of three children, two sons and one daughter, of whom our subject
was the second child.
Dr. Hoover was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, June 2, 1855. He was only nine months old when
his parents came to Macon County, Ill., where, he grew to manhood and where he lived until 1888.
He received his education in the common schools and in the Wesleyan University at Bloomington,
Ill., at which time he took up the study of medicine, but on account of ill health was obliged to
relinquish his studies for awhile, but afterwards resumed them entering Rush Medical College, Chicago,
in 1880, where he graduated in 1888. Soon afterward he settled in Lovington, where be has
been ever since engaged in the practice of his profession. He enjoys an excellent practice and has
the confidence of the community. He remained on the farm until he was age, then and for about
eight years engaged in trading and studying. He worked his way through and is a self-reliant man.
He was married at Maroa, Ill., October 23, 1889, to Miss Effie S. Bean, who was born in Morgan
County, Ill., July 8, 1865. Her father was Joseph Bean, and her mother was Ellen Pratt.
They are residents of Macon County, Ill. He is a farmer by occupation. Dr. Hoover has buried one
child who died in infancy. He has been an active member of the Methodist Church since 1873. He
is a member of the Masonic fraternity and of the Knights of Pythias, of which he is a leading
Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, 1891 - p. 700/701
Transcription copyright 2003/2007, Moultrie County ILGenWeb/USGenWeb