LESTER C. FLEMING. Every traveler who passes along the highway is led to admire the farm buildings
of Mr. Fleming on section 29, East Nelson Township. These are still new enough to have retained their
pristine freshness and the impression made by their attractive appearance is re-inforced by a thorough
examination of their convenient and commodious arrangement. This farmer appreciates fully the true
economy of being saved from the wear and tear which are incident to a poor home, illy-arranged barns,
leaky sheds and tumble-down fences, and he has provided generously for both his family and his stock.
Isaac Fleming, who was the father of Lester, was born in Cumberland County, Md., in 1818, and married
Miss Kittie A. Hilton, who was born in the same county in 1817. Their early married life was spent in
Knox County, Ohio, and they came thence to Moultrie County, Ill., in 1864, settling in East Nelson
Township which has continued to be the family home with the exception of three years spent in Whitley
Township. The father passed from this life in 1888 on the 27th of October, but the mother still survives.
Of their family our subject was the seventh in order of age and was born in Know County, Ohio, June 28, 1848.
Lester C. Fleming came with his parents to Illinois and resided under the parental roof until his marriage,
which took place in 1874 in Moultrie County, his bride being Miss Mary B. Mathers, who bore to him one
child, James I. Mrs. Mary B. Fleming did not long remain to enjoy her home, but died in September, 1877 in
East Nelson Township. The second wife of our subject bore the maiden name of Anna B. Mallory and she also
became the mother of one child, Hattie A., and died December 18, 1886. Some time subsequent to this sad
event Mr. Fleming was married in Charleston, Ill., to Rosa Maxedon, who now presides over his pleasant home.
For six years Mr. Fleming was engaged in operating a sawmill but aside from that and also during most of
that time he gave his attention to farming which has been his chief business through life, as he thoroughly
cultivates his eighty acres of land. In the spring of 1890 he became the Supervisor of East Nelson Township
and so well did he serve his constituents and transact the business of his county that he received his
re-election to the same office in the spring of 1891. As School Director he has worked conscientiously to
advance the schools of East Nelson Township and they are year by year rising to a higher plane. The platform
of the Democratic party receives his hearty endorsement and in general intelligence he keeps abreast with the
march of events and the world's history.
Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, 1891 - p. 297/298
Transcription copyright 2003/2007, Moultrie County ILGenWeb/USGenWeb