HENRY C. FISHER, an influential farmer residing in Lowe Township, Moultrie County,
was born in Loami Township, Sangamon County. Ill., January 31, 1846. He is the
son of John B. and Nancv D. (Webb) Fisher, natives of Kentucky, who were married in Harrison
County, that State. At an early day they removed to Illinois and settled in Sangamon County, where
they reared a large family of children, eleven of whom lived to attain to maturity. At the breaking
out of the Civil War the father enlisted in an Illinois regiment and served until the Government
had no further need of his services. Being honorably discharged he returned to his home and resumed
operations on his farm, where his death occurred after a long and useful life.
Henry C., of this sketch, was reared to maturity on a farm and received a practical education in
the common schools. Until he was married he spent his time under the paternal roof, with the exception
of four years spent in different places. A very important event in his life and the source of
great happiness to him, was his marriage March 14, 1877, in Douglas County, Ill., to Miss Mary Alice
Reeder. This estimable lady was born in that place July 10, 1857, and is the daughter of John
and Mary (Harter) Reeder, also natives of Douglas County. Mr. and Mrs. Reeder were natives of
Ohio, and reared a family of eleven children, Mrs. Fisher being the eighth.
The first home of our subject after his marriage was in Loami Township, Sangamon County, whence
after a residence of one year he removed to Christian County, Ill., and sojourned there for one year.
Next we find him in Piatt County for two years and then in Douglas County for six years and
finally in the spring of 1887 he settled in Lowe Township, this county, and he has been so well
satisfied with his purchase here that he has decided to make it his permanent home. He owns eighty
acres on section 17, and is also the owner of one-half section of land in Iowa. His farm buildings
are first-class, while modern machinery and improvements are all to be found here.
Five children have come to bless the congenial union of Mr. and Mrs. Fisher, named as follows:
John K., Minnie M., Lulu. May Olive, and Willie. As a School Director Mr. Fisher has aided in bringing
about the present efficiency of the neighboring schools and in his present position of Clerk of the
School Board he is spoken well of for his capability in that position. He is identified with the Republican
party and never fails to cast his vote and exert his influence for the principles in which he
believes. As a neighbor he is cordial and friendly, in domestic life affectionate, and in his business
relations to be relied upon. He is therefore regarded with respect and has many warm personal
friends. He and Ins amiable wife are active members of the Christian Church.
Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, 1891 - p. 331/332
Transcription copyright 2003/2007, Moultrie County ILGenWeb/USGenWeb