CHARLES W. DICK. Among the prominent agriculturists of Lowe Township, Moultrie County, who had
their birth across the seas but who have brought to their adopted country the valuable characteristics
which belong to the men of their native land is the resident on section 8, whose name appears at
the head of this sketch. His parents, Charles and Fredericka (Hinnak) Dick, were born in Germany
and spent their days in their native land. Our subject was the only child by this marriage and was
born in Zeitz, Germany, December 18, 1825.
After receiving the ordinary education provided for the German youth, our subject upon reaching
manhood learned the trade of a weaver and became a journeyman, working at his trade in various
parts of the country. He emigrated from Germany to America in 1854, landing in New York in September
of that year. Traveling West he came to Columbus, Ohio, where he found employment in Pickaway
County, Ohio, busying himself at farm labor at the wages of $8 per month, working for such wages two years.
The marriage of our subject took place in Pickaway County, Ohio, June 10, 1856, his bride being
Miss Anna R. Herrmann who was born in Shwelewalte, Germany, December 19, 1832. Her parents were
Gottlieb and Eva R. (Schnyder) Herrmann, both of German birth and who died in the old country.
Mrs. Dick came to America in 1855, making her home in Pickaway County and lived there and in Madison
County, Ohio, until 1862, when they came to Illinois and settled in Moultrie County. They tried
various parts of Moultrie County, living for two years in Lovington Township then in Lowe Township
where they have since been residents.
Mr. and Mrs. Dick have been the happy parents of seven children, two of whom they were called
upon to resign to the Good Shepherd. Those still living are: Henry L. who married Dora Kokendoffer;
John W., Samuel who married Hattie Morrow; Sarah M., wife of James A. Hook, and Louisa A. who is
an accomplished lady and school teacher. Since coming to America this gentleman has devoted himself
entirely to agricultural pursuits as he found this more profitable upon our fertile soil than the
pursuit of his trade. He owns one hundred and sixty acres and has made excellent improvements upon
his farm. He has filled and filled well some of the local offices in the township and is highly
respected not only by his neighbors but by all with whom he came in official relations. Mr. and Mrs.
Dick are members of the German Baptist Church, and in their religious connections are highly honored
for their true Christian lives and earnest helpfulness in every good cause. Mr. Dick is a public-spirited
man and an earnest promoter of every movement looking to the progress of Lowe Township and Moultrie County.
Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, 1891 - p. 351
Transcription copyright 2003/2007, Moultrie County ILGenWeb/USGenWeb