THOMAS H. CROWDER. Perhaps there is no family in Marrowbone Township whose various members are
more prominent in social, political, agricultural and religious circles than that represented by
the gentleman whose name appears at the head of this writing. Such a circle is broadly and thoroughly
influential in upbuilding the material interests as well as the social and moral characteristics of
a neighborhood. A more complete history of the parents of of our subject will be found in the sketch
of David M. Crowder, which also appears on this page.
In a family of ten children our subject is the fourth in order of age, and was born in Jennings
County, Ind., March 31, 1835. He was about three years old when his parents came to what is now
Moultrie County, Ill., and his life to manhood was spent upon his father's farm in what is now
known as Marrowbone Township. He resided at home until his marriage, which event took place in
Sullivan, October 11, 1855.
The lady who became Mrs. Thomas H. Crowder, bore the maiden name of Mary McCord and is a daughter
of John and Elizabeth McCord, who died in Marrowbone Township. She was born in Jennings, County,
Ind., Dec 18, 1834. Her two children are John R. (who married first Miss Dora Hampton and subsequent
to her death was united with Miss Katie Mott) and a daughter, Mary E., who is the wife of F.D.
Henneigh. Mrs. Mary Crowder had ut a short experience of married life, as she died at her home
in Marrowbone Township, March 15, 1860, leaving a wide circle of friends to mourn her loss.
The second marriage of Mr. Crowder took place in Marrowbone Township, June 20, 1860, his bride
being Miss Louvina Bosley, who was born in Shelby County, this State, February 1, 1837. Seven
children have crowned this union--Sarah B., who died when young; William E., who married Miss
Nellie Jordan; Mattie M. the wife of W.H. Logan; Andrew who died in childhood; Armilda R.,
Viola G. and Thomas H., Jr.
Farming and stock-raising in Marrowbone Township have fully employed the energies and enterprise
of our subject and he has employed the wise plans and shown the absorbing attention in business
which have brought success. Upon his farm he has erected an excellent set of buildings suitable
for carrying on the work and sheltering his stock, and he is the owner of between four hundred
and five hundred acres of excellent land. His well known reputation as a judicious and intelligent
gentleman has led his fellow-citizens to twice elect him to the office of Supervisor of Marrowbone
Township. He is considered a leader in the Republican ranks and takes an active part in local
politics. For more than twenty years he has been an Elder in the Cumberland Presbyterian Church
in which his wife is also a member and where they are esteemed as conscientious and devoted
helpers in every good work.
The introduction of Short-horn cattle in this section of the country may justly be credited
to the enterprising gentleman, and he is in the possession of the only full set of American
Herd Books in Shelby and Moultrie Counties. He also makes a specialty of South Down stock
as well as carriage, coach and draft horses. He takes a great interest in every phase of
the subject pertaining to fine stock and is thoroughly informed in regard to this matter,
being considered the fountain head of information on the subject. The beautiful buildings
upon his farm and his delightful residence speak forth their own praise of the systematic,
conscientious and cultured gentleman whose estate they crown.
Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, 1891 - p. 357/358
Transcription copyright 2003/2007, Moultrie County ILGenWeb/USGenWeb