ABIA CHIPPS. Located in the fertile valley of Jonathan Creek, is a farm of four
hundred acres, located on section 15 of the township which takes its name from
the water supply. Picturesque and beautiful are the meadows, pasture, orchard and wood lot of the
farm, and happy should he the owner of so fine a place. The fortunate man who is possessor of this
land, is he whose name is at the head of this sketch. He settled in the county in the fall, November 26,
1858, and since that time, has here made his residence, applying his time and attention to the upbuilding
and cultivation not only of his own possessions, but also to the improvement and the
elevation in tone, of the whole community.
Abia Chipps was born in Harrison County, W. Va., June 8. 1852, and is a son of Asa W. and Melvina
E. (Duvall) Chipps, natives respectively of Morgan and Harrison Counties, W. Va. They were
married in their native State, in 1851. The family came to this county in 1858, and purchased
eighty acres of raw laud. This is now beautified and made valuable by a fine walnut grove which
was planted by our subject. The mother of the family died April 1. 1863. She had six children,
of whom four lived to be grown. They are Abia, Kate, Addie and Jefferson K. Kate is now the
widow of John Landers; Addie is the wife of R. D. Curd, and resides in Des Moines, Iowa; Jefferson E.
operates a farm of his own.
Our subject's father was a second time married, this union being with Mrs. Mary S. Adams nee Barton,
and in 1877, he removed with his family to Columbia, Mo., remaining there for fourteen years
and then returned to this county. By her previous marriage, Mrs. Chipps, Sr., was the mother of one
son, whose name was James Williams. Politically the father was a Democrat, and held local office.
Our subject was reared on a farm and educated at the Academy of Mount Zion, Ill. A thoughtful
young man, fond of study and of original research, he developed a liking for pedagogic work, and engaged
for some time in teaching, in which he continued even two years after his marriage, which
was solemnized January 1, 1877, his bride being Miss America K. Lilly, who was born in this county.
After marriage our subject purchased eighty acres of land, and this amount with its proceeds, he so
carefully husbanded, that he is now the owner of four hundred acres of land. He is engaged in the
business of stock raising, which he finds very profitable, bringing much of his stock to the metropolitan markets.
Our subject and his wife are the parents of seven children, whose names are as follows: Hallie, Willis;
Clifford, who is deceased; Raymond, Earl, Alta and Paul. Politically our subject is a member
of the Democratic party. He has been Supervisor of the township for five terms, and has held
various minor local offices. Socially he is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, 1891 - p. 206/207
Transcription copyright 2003/2007, Moultrie County ILGenWeb/USGenWeb