SAMUEL S. ANDERSON. A beautiful farm on section 19, Lovington Township, is the
home of Mr. Anderson and his interesting family. His estate consists of one hundred
and twenty acres all under cultivation, supplied with a complete set of farm buildings and
fittingly adorned with trees and shrubs. The perfect tillage of the broad fields, the good arrangement
of the buildings and the appearance of home comfort which is manifest, make the farm one of
the most attractive seen by a passing traveler. Mr. Anderson gives his attention to general farming
in which he is more than ordinarily successful.
Mr. Anderson was born in Licking County, Ohio, March 10, 1834, and is the son of William and
Elizabeth (McKibben) Anderson, natives of Washington County, Pa. The parents first settled in
Washington County removing thence to Licking County, Ohio, where the father died in 1840. The
mother survived many years, coming West to Moultrie County and dying in the village of Lovington
August 3, 1885. They had a family of ten children, of whom our subject was the seventh in order
of birth. He was reared to manhood in his native place, receiving the advantages of a good
common-school education and assisting his widowed mother in the maintenance of the family.
In September, 1856, Mr. Anderson removed from the Buckeye State to Illinois, locating in Moultrie
County and entering upon farming operations. He had been reared upon a farm and having a
natural aptitude for agriculture, naturally chose it for his life work. He has been successful in his
chosen avocation and has received in every enterprise the cheerful co-operation of his wife, with
whom he was united in marriage in Lovington Township, June 9, 1859. Mrs. Anderson bore the
maiden name of Phebe Bushfield and is a daughter of the late George and Mary (McKeever) Bushfield.
She was born in Perry County, Ohio, in January, 1841, and accompanied her parents to this county.
Her refinement and culture win for her warm friends wherever she is known, while her hospitality
and kindliness of heart are well known.
Whitley Township was the first home of Mr. and Mrs. Anderson after their marriage and there they
remained two years, improving their farm and becoming known as good neighbors and estimable
citizens. Their next home was in Lovington Township where they have since resided, and where,
as above stated, he has become the owner of one hundred and twenty acres of fine land. His estate
with its commodious residence and substantial outbuildings shows what may be accomplished by
unceasing perseverance and good business management. He may, in the truest sense of the word, be
called a self-made man, for when he started out for himself he had no capital save good health and
untiring energy. Now his finely improved farm stands as a lasting monument of his efforts.
Politically Mr. Anderson is a Democrat although in voting for local elections he is independent and
always casts his ballot for the candidate whom he thinks will best represent the people. Mrs. Anderson
is a devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and he is a believer in and
supporter of the doctrines of Christianity. He possesses in a full degree those sterling traits of character
which mark a good man and a worthy citizen, who is always true to himself and to others, and
conscientiously discharges every duty that devolves upon him.
Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, 1891 - p. 382/383
Transcription copyright 2003/2007, Moultrie County ILGenWeb/USGenWeb