City and Township

Extracted from "History of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, Illinois, 1881"

The history of the early settlement and subsequent progress and development of the township and city of Sullivan presents many features that are interesting. A retropection of thirty-five years would carry us back to the time when the city was first laid out, and a few years prior to that date would take us beyond the time when the first white settler had trodden upon its site; to the time when it constituted part of a dreary wilderness, before civilization had penetrated its solitary bosom, or the voice of the pineer echoed amid its timbered shade. The pioneers were a hardy race. That it was successful, was owing to the dautless and persevering energy of the first settlers; for it was no enviable task to clear the forest break the prairie, and undergo the hardships incident to genuine pioneer life.

This was the earliest township formed, and the largest in the county. It is situated in the central and southern portions; bounded north by Lovington, east by Jonathan creek, and east Nelson, south by Whitley and Shelby counties, and west by Shelby county, and Marrowbone township. There are 41,588 acres of land, valued by the last assessment at $406, 157; 7,360 acres of which is unimproved. The chief streams which water and drain the township are the Okaw and West Okaw rivers. Other streams are Whitley and Asa's creeks, which are tributaries of the Okaw. There is considerable timber along the margin of these streams, embracing among the varieties the different kinds of oaks, ash, sugar maple, walnut and hickory. The surface, for the most part, is a gently undulating prairie, except along the various water courses where it becomes more broken. The soil on the prairies is alluvium of the darkest and richest character, and the bluffs along the creeks are composed principally of gravel and fire-clay. There are two railroads passing through the township. The Peoria, Decatur, and Evansville enters on sections 30, 14-5, and runs in a south-eastern direction, leaving it on sections 12, 13-5, and the Chicago Division of the Wabash, St. Louis and Pacific, enters at the north of section 14, running south and south-easterly, through its entire length, and passes out on sections 36, 13-5. The two form a junction in the western part of the city of Sullivan, and they afford to the agriculturist and manufacturer, a market for their products and wares.


The first settlements made in what is now Sullivan township, were in the northern part, or what is termed congressional town 14, Range 5. James Welborn, son of John Welborn, settled on the N.E. 1/4 of the N.E. 1/4 of section 17, as early as the spring of 1829; where he erected the first cabin, and made the first improvements. In the fall of the same year, John C. Thomason purchased this claim of Welborn, and with his family settled here. The next improvement was made on the same section by Richard Thomason in the spring of 1830. George Thomason, another brother, settled on section 20, where he built a cabin and cleared some land, which was entered out by Jeremiah Souther, in the spring of 1832, and one year later he came and took possession of the place, where he lived for a long time. In the southern part of 14-5, George Monroe, a native of Indiana, settled on section 32, and built a cabin at the edge of the timber, in 1831. This was on the place now owned by Absalom Patterson. Benjamin Sims was also an early settler here. Jones and Roland Hampton, Kentuckians, settled at an early date on section 29. The former, Jones Hampton, now lives at Hampton's station, from whom it received its name. Edward Minor, James Hudson, Jefferson Hudson, James M. De Jernett, T.O. Brown, R.W. Payne, Ezekiel Sharp, and a few others, arrived here before 1835. George Monroe built the first mill in 14-5, in section 32, in the year 1835, which he operated until he was frozen to death a few years later. The earliest marriage here was that of Joseph Thomason to Lucy Ezell in the fall of 1831. The ceremony was performed by Esquire James Fruit. The Pea graveyard was the first burying ground in this part of the township, and the first interment was that of a small child, a daughter of Zenas and Mary Prather, in the summer of 1830. There was no school in town 14-5, until 1837, when James Steele taught in a cabin used for that purpose, on Jeremiah Souther’s place on section 20. Arnold Thomason, William Souther, and John Kellar, were early teachers. Elders Joseph and Solomon Hostetler, were the first preachers.

To Thomas Howe, a native of Indiana, belong the honor of first settlin in the southern part of the township or in town 13, Range 5. He came in the year 1829 or early in 1830, and located on the West Okaw, in Section 25, where he built a cabin and made the first farm. He had several children, and many of their descendants are still living in the county. The nest to settle was James Camfield, and his father-in-law, Avery Wood, in the same year.

Mr. Camfield was a native of Kentucky, where he grew to manhood and married. On coming to this county he settled on Section 10, on the edge of the timber known as “Macks’s Point”, since Camfield’s Point. Uncle Johnny, as he was usually called, was an industrious, genial and clever man. At his residence the first courts in this county were held, and at that time many of the foremost men in the state were recipients of his hospitality. He left this state a short time ago, but several of his descendants are yet here. Avery Wood had a very large family, but of his sons, Josph M. was the only one to leave any children, several of whom are residents of the county. Most of his daughters married and have children. Mr. Wood was a pious man and a good farmer, and died at his home about 1840.

Richard and Thomas Nazworthy, brothers, and natives of Tennessee, settled in Section 6, in 1831. The widow of Richard Nazworthy, and two of her sons--William and Richard--are all of these families living in the county. In the same year, John Smith and Mark Short came and located near the Nazworthy’s. Samuel Wright, also a Kentuckian, came in 1831, and settled in Section 31, Where he lived for a number of years, and subsequently moved to Sullivan, where he died in August, 1874. He was four times married, and raised a family of ten children, all of whom are residing in this vicinity. The next arrival was that of grandfather James Patterson, his sons David, Joshua and Jonathan, and Nancy Harbaugh with her family, viz: John, Peter, David, Jacob, Nancy, Sarah and Elizabeth. They came here from Edgar county, this state, in the spring of 1832. Levi Patterson settled on Asa’s Creek, in what is now the east part of the city of Sullivan in 1837, and his son William is residing on the old homestead. Hugh, also a son of grandfather James Patterson, was a Christian minister, and lived for a time in the county. The descendants of David and Levi are all of the Patterson family that are living here.

James and William Crouch settled on Section 14, in 1832. Reuben B. Ewing, a Tennessean, who became quite prominent in the early civil history of Moultrie, came here in 1835. One son, Charles M., and Louisa, the wife of William Elder, and Rebecca A., the wife of D.F. Bristow, are all of his offspring that are living in the county.

There is no doubt but that the name Jacob McCune, is as familiar to the citizens generally as that of any man who ever located in this part of the country. He was a native of New York, and a patriot in the war of 1812. Mr. McCune came into this vicinity in the fall of 1828, living a part of the time in Shelby county, and partly in what is now Moultrie. While in this county he resided in what is now Sullivan township, where he died several years ago, and was interred in the Camfield burying-ground. Asa Spencer Rice, familiarly called "Dollarhide" Rice, was also an early settler in these parts, but lived farther south, in Shelby county. He and McCune were great hunters, and as the deer and wild turkey were plentiful in those days, the sharp ring of the rifle in the hands of these two daring pioneers might frequently have been heard in the prairie and timbered regions of this vicinity. It was on one of these expeditions that they came to a halt, now within the limits of the city of Sullivan, and Rice remarked, “Of all the country I've seen this is my choice.” and McCune in quick reply said, “This shall be called Asa's Point.” This is the point of timber in the east part of Sullivan, and has always been known by that name, as also Asa’s Creek that flows by it.

Among other early settlers may be mentioned Wesley Loving, James McClellan, Henry Miller, Coonrods’, John and Abram Reedy, Daniel Hook, John Powell, James Vanhise, Wm. Ellis, James Baugher, James Weeks, the Womack’s, Mr. Ham, Joseph Baker, G.W. Vaughn, the Morelands, Wm. B. Stricklan, H.Y. Duncan, William Liler, John Wegger, the Underwoods, Skidmores, George Baxter, and others. In writing the history of a county and its constituent townships, recapitulation in some degree is unavoidable, as we must refer our readers to the general chapter of early settlements, civil and church histories, as they are frequently mentioned under those heads.

The first land entered in this township, as taken from the county records, was made by the following parties, March 11, 1830: William A. Fleming, entered the E half of the NE quarter of section 31, T 13, R 5 E, 80 acres; May 15th, 1830, Thomas Howe entered the W half of the NE quarter of section 25, T 13 R 4 E, 80 acres; same date, Joseph Cibeson entered 80 acres in same section. June 22d, 1830, James Camfield entered the W half of the SW quarter of section 10 T 13 R 5 E, 80 acres; Oct. 14th, 1830, Richard Nazworthy entered the N half of the NW quarter of section 7, same township and range, 79.39 acres; Oct. 19th, 1830, Wm. R. Dazey entered the W half of the NW quarter of section 25, T 13 R 4 E, 80 acres; May 14th, 1831, Jeremiah Souther entered the SE quarter of section 19, 160 acres, and 320 acres in section 20, both tracts in T 14 R 5 E; May 28th, 1931, Robert H. Peebles entered the E half of the NE quarter of section 17, T 14 R 5 E, containing 80 acres; June 22d, 1831, Avery Wood entered the W half of the SE quarter of section 10 T 13 R 5 E of the 3d PM 80 acres.

The first marriages that we have any record of in this township were Sanford Green to Miss Mahala Powell, and Adolphus Waggoner to Miss Warnack. These were in 1833. John Powell, who was killed by the kicking of a horse, was the first death. The earliest school taught was in 1832, in the Nazworthy settlement; the teacher was old grandfather James Patterson, who was at that time over sixty-five years of age; he taught in Thomas Nazworthy’s log residence; a school-house built of logs, on the Woods’ place on section 10, in the year 1833, was the first in the township. Elders Levi Fleming, John Starnis, and Rev. Hugh Patterson, were among the early preachers, and held their meeting in the log-cabins and school-houses until the building of churches in the city of Sullivan. James Patterson erected a small log blacksmith-shop at Asa’s Point, and did the first smithing in the township.

In 1833, John Powell and Sanford Green constructed the first mill; it was propelled by the waters of Okaw river, and was situated on the east line of section 24; it had one set of stones and a sash-saw. The next mill was built at Patterson coal-shaft in section 29, by Reuben B. Ewing and Jacob McCune, in 1836.

The coal shaft above mentioned was sunk by Donty Paterson, in 1873. It is about 120 feet deep; the vein is 27 inches thick and of a very excellent quality. There has been considerable coal raised, but the mine is so farm from the railroads, and the vien so shallow that it can not be worked in paying quantities. There is a tile and brick factory, a short distance from Sullivan, that is doing good work.

The improvements in Sullivan township are among the best in the county. The farmers are industrious, and enterprising, and pursue their vocation with that energy that crowns success. The following named are a few of the good farms; views of which may be seen in this work: G.W. Vaughn, W.A. Short, J.H. Vanhise, W.T. Nazworthy, Robert H. Sharp, James Kirkwood and Joseph T. Harris.

The school districts are numerous, and each have neat and well furnished school-houses, where school is taught the greater part of the year.

The following are the names of parties, who have represented Sullivan in the county board of supervisors: Jonathan Meeker, elected in 1867, re-elected in 1868 and served until 1871; J.B. Titus, elected in 1871; John A. Freeland, elected in 1872; A. Patterson in 1873, and served until 1876; Jonathan Meeker, re-elected in 1876, and re-elected up to 1878; S.W. Wright, elected in 1878, ‘79 and ‘80, and resigned in September; and G.W. Vaughn was appointed to fill the vacancy.

The first effort to build a town in this township was in 1840, when William Cantrell laid out 160 acres on the farm, now owned by David Harbaugh, on section 11, and named it Glasgow. Mr. Cantrell erected a small frame store building and one log-house. When Sullivan was laid out, these buildings were moved there, and Gasgow became “a thing of the past.”


At a meeting of the county commissioners, R.B. Ewing, A.H. Kellar and Andrew Scott, held in March, 1845, at the residence of Dr. William Kellar, it was agreed that the capital of the county of Moultrie should be called Sullivan, thereby connecting the two names which bear historical relations to each other. (Fort Moultrie was a fortification constructed by Col. William Moultrie, {afterwards a major-general} on Sullivan’s Island, at the mouth of Charleston harbor, where a victory was gained, June 28th, 1776, by the South Carolina troops under Col. Moultrie over a British fleet commanded by Sir Peter Parker. The city was named from this Island).

At the same time they selected the NE 1/4 of the SE 1/4 of section 2, T 13 R 5, as the site for the new county seat. These forty acres were purchased of Philo Hale, for the sum of $100, by Dr. William Kellar and other prominent citizens, and donated by them to the county. This tract was immediately laid off into lots and blocks surveyed and platted by Parnell Hamilton, county surveyor, for which the commissioners ordered that $48 be paid him for his services. The first lots were disposed of at public auction March 7, 1845. Those around the court-house square brought from twenty to thirty dollars each.

The first house was erected by John Perryman. It was a small one story frame structure, about eighteen feet square, and was located on the corner of Harrison and Van Buren streets, on the lot now occupied by the Maple House. After the completion of this house, he moved his family into it, in May, 1845, and became the first resident. Mr. Perryman was circuit clerk, and moved here to attend to his official duties. The nest settler was John A. Freeland, then county clerk and recorder. Uncle Johnny, as he is familiarly called, moved a “second-hand log cabin.” from Glasgow, and placed it on the south-east corner of block 17, into which he moved his family July 11, 1845. Joseph Thomason became the third reident. He erected a frame house on the south-east corner of block 5, and moved his family here in August of the same year. Owen Scarny, R.T. Hampton, Thomas Randall and Andrew Scott erected dwellings and settled here late in the summer and fall of 1845. Isaac Funderburk built a blacksmith shop on the corner of Washington and Water streets, and did the first smithing. Owen Searny, who was a blacksmith, also built a shop late in 1845.

The first business of any kind in the city was a saloon, kept by Joel Earp. The building in which it was conducted stood on the corner opposite the north-east corner of the court house square, now occupied by the brick building owned by Dr. T.Y. Lewis. Soon after the establishment of this buisness, W.W. Oglesby moved a small frame store house from Glasgow on the lot opposite the south-east corner of the court-house square, where William Elder’s brick house now stands. He brought from Decatur a remnant of William Cantrell’s store,--general stock, such as is usually found in country stroes, and opened it for sale. In the spring of 1846 Amos Prentice opened the second store, with a small stock of general goods, in an old building that had been moved on a lot just east of Oglesby’s store. That summer W.W. Oglesby was succeeded by J. Wilson Ross, who moved the old building away and replaced it with a larger and better one, which he opened with a larger and more complete stock. James Elder came from Nelson, and erected a two-story frame residence, with store-room on the first floor. This was situated on the corner north-west of the court-house square. He moved his family into the residence part of the building, and placed a stock of goods in the store-room. Mr. Elder also kept permanent and transient guests. Late in the fall of 1845, Geo. W. Gwilliams built a small residenceand tan-yard, and ran the tanning business for two or three years, and then moved away. J.J. and W.L. Haydon erected a business house and residence about 1848. It is a frame building, and is now occupied by C.L. Roane. James Elder built a store at an early date, which is on the same lot, and now forms a part of Brockway’s store. Homer Gibbs, James W. Vaughn, Dr. Wm. Kellar, and others that might be mentioned had we space, built early residences and business houses. The first hotel was erected by Beverly Taylor, on the Titus Opera House lot, in 1847. It was frame, two stories high, containing several rooms, neatly furnished. The house was called after its proprietor==the Taylor House. About the same time, John Reese came here, from Shelbyville, and in connection with Jones Hampton, erected a carding machine, which they operated for several years. The first brick business house was erected in the summer and fall of 1860, and is now known as the centennial building.

It was in this city that the Hon. Richard J. Oglesby first hung out his shingle as an attorney-at-law. This was in the year 1845, and he officed with uncle Johnny Freeland. James D. Perryman, son of John and Ann Perryman, was the first child born in the city, and John, a young son of the same parents, was the first death that occurred. Drs. William Kellar, L.S. Spore, William B. Duffield, J.Y. Hitt, and B.B. Everett, were the early physicians. The post-office was established in 1845, and John Perryman was appointed first post-master. The mails were received once in two weeks from Shelbyville, carried by Peter Fleming on horse-back. Those who have held the office since, are W.C. Loyd, J.E. Eden, James Elder, W.W. Stanley, and A. Miley, the present incumbent.

Churches--The first church was erected by the Methodist denomination about 1847, or ‘48, and the building is now used by D.L. Pifer for a wagon shop. They have since built a new church. The Cumberland Presbyterian, and Christian Churches were built about the same time in 1853. They cost about $2,000 each, and are both about the same size, well furnished, neat and comfortable edifices.

Cemetery--The Sullivan cemetery was originally the private burying-ground of James Elder, and the first person interred there was his daughter, Rebecca, wife of Louis J. Berry, in March, 1847. The present grounds were donated for cemetery purposes by James Elder, Dr. William Kellar, and William Patterson. It contains about four acres, and is situated in the south-east part of the city.

Schools--The first school-house erected in the city was in the spring of 1846, on lot 2, block 11, at a cost of $85, made up by private subscription. It was a small frame building, 18 x 20 feet in size. John W. Wheat, an attorney who came from Christian county, taught the first school in the summer of 1846. Schools were conducted in this house until the erection of the brick academy by James S. Freeland, in 1851. Mr. Freeland had organized a class for an academic cours, and held his first session in one of the rooms of the old court-house. This school flourished until the death of Mr. Freeland, which occurred in 1856, when it ceased to exist. Some years afterward the property was purchased by Elder N.S. Bastion, and had a successful season for about six years, when again its walls relapsed into silence. In the meantime a two-story brick was erected in the eastern part of the town near the cemetery, through the individual efforts of the members of the Christian church. It was subsequently bought by the district, and used for some years, or until the building of the new house, when it was sold and the proceeds placed in the public school treasury. It should be ovserved that prior to the erection of the new building, the old public school-house was insufficient for the pupils of the district, hence a portion of the scholars attend a department in the academy provided for by the district. The present building was commenced in 1873, and completed in the fall of 1874. It is three stories besides the basement, and is one hundred and sixty feet from foundation to belfry. It contains six rooms, furnished with the latest and best school furniture, and will accommodate 350 pupils. Its facilities for ventilation are excellent, and it is heated by hot air furnished by a furnace situated in the basement.

Incorporation--Sullivan was first incorporated under the general law as a village, in the winter of 1850. The records were burned with the court-house, and we were unable to collect all of the desired information. John A. Freeland, John Perryman and J.W. Ross were three of the first trustees elected. Charles White was the first constable. The last trustees were T.M. Bushfield, President; W.B. Kilner, Peter Cofer, Milton Tichenor, J.H. Waggoner and J.H. Shockey; E. Hall, clerk.

In the winter of 1872 the place was incorporated as a city, having a mayor and council. Those first elected were--Victor Thompson, Mayor; James R. Duncan, S. Brightman, A.A. Fredrick, W. Kirkwood, B.S. Jennings, William Thuneman, aldermen; Edwin Hall, clerk; A.B. Lee, city attorney; C.L. Roane, treasurer; Washington Linder, city marshal, and T.M. Bushfield, street commissioner. Present officers are--William Kirkwood, Mayor; J.H. Waggoner, W.P. Corbin, Dr. T.Y. Lewis, James R. Duncan, C.N. Snyder, B.S. Jennings, aldermen; S.M. Smyser, city attorney; E. Hall, Clerk; Dock Patterson, city marshal; C.L. Roane, treasurer. From the beginning Sullivan has had a steady and healthy growth, and with present prospects of new enterprises it is destined to become a city of no mean pretensions, not far in the distant future. The blocks and streets are laid out square with the compass. The streets are wide, well shaded, and have good sidewalks. Situated in the centre of the original plat is the court-house and square, around which cluster the principal business houses of the city. Sullivan, located as it is, in the heart of a rich and populous country, with good stores and excellent railroad facilities, commands the trade for many miles around. As a shipping point there are but few places of its size in central Illinois that surpass it.

Press--The papers now published here are the Sullivan Progress and The Sullivan Journal, both examples of typographical neatness.

Sullivan Woolen Mill--This factory was erected by Patterson, Jennings & Co. in the fall of 1867, and began operations the following year. It is a brick structure three stories high, with engine-room and dye-house attached. The machinery is what is technically known as a “one set mill”--40 inch cards--with spinning jack, looms, etc., and has the capacity of manufacturing into fabric 100 pounds of wool per day. It is now owned by Patterson & Jennings, and is under the personal supervision of B.S. Jennings.

Steam Flouring Mills--The city boasts of two good flouring mills, one owned and operated by S.H. Morrell, the other by D.S. Lowe. The former is a frame structure, and was built by Garland & Patterson in 1852, and purchased by Mr. Morrell in the spring of 1859. It has two run of burrs, one for wheat and one for corn. The latter mill is a three-story brick, and was built by Patterson, Snyder & McClelland in 1866. It has three run of burrs, two wheat and one corn, and does considerable business in the way of foreign shipments.

Elevator--This building is situated in the western part of the city, near the intersection of the railroads. It was built in 1873 under the auspices of the Sullivan Grain Co. It is a two-story frame building, with a capacity of storing 10,000 bushels of grain, and can shell and load five cars of corn per day. It is owned and operated by D.F. Bristow.

Plow Manufactory--This was extablished by F.P. Hoke in 1877. It is run by steam and manufactures from three to four hundred plows a year.

Titus Opera House--Was constructed by J.B. Titus in 1871, at a cost of upwards of $30,000, and is fashioned after Heley’s, of Chicago, as it was before the firs. It has a parquet and gallery, nicely frescoed ceiling, a full set of scenery, side boxes, etc. The whole building is lighted with gas, and has all the conveniences usually found in cities. The house is far ahead of the town, and speaks in tones of unmistakable language of the public spirit of its author, J.B. Titus.

Maple House--This is a neat, cozy, two-story frame building, owned and conducted by E.L. Shepherd.

Bank--The first banking business done in Sullivan was by James Elder, in 1868, which he continued until his death, 1870. Other firms came into existence, but passed out of sight. The only banking house in the town at this writing is the Merchants’ and Farmers’ Bank, conducted by Wm. Elder, son of James Elder.

Physicians--T.Y. Lewis; A.L. Kellar; S.W. Lucas; A.W. Williams; E.L. Hardin; B.B. Everitt; B.H. Porter; J.A. Dunlap; A.T. Marshall; J.W. Cokenower; A.W. Leffingwell;


Carriage and Wagon Manufactories--H.W. Bury; D.L. Pifer; J.M. Cummins.

Dry Goods, Clothing, etc.--T.P. Mathews & Co.; A.E. Antrim; C.L. Roane.

Dry Goods, Notions, etc.--Geo. Mayer; E.C. Drew.

Clothing and Gents’ Furnishing Goods--M. Ausbacher.

Boots and Shoes--A. Wyman; M. Layman; Carl Stanke; ______ Palmer.

Hardware, Stoves, and Agricultural Implements--J.W. Elder; Geo. P. Chapman.

Agricultural Implements, Organs, etc.--T.J. Hill

Groceries, Queensware, etc.--Spitler & Son; Co-operative Store, J.H. Dunscomb, agent; M. McDonald; J.R. McClure; Bolin & Miller; B.W. Brockway.

Books and Stationery--Lilly & Co.; A. Miley.

Furniture, Carpets, etc.--W.P. Corbin.

Drug Stores--Welch & Livers; J.L. Reed & Co.

Jewelry--H.J. Pike.

Bakery and Confectioneries--Scott Bros.; R.M. Miller; L. Lee; J. Birchfield.

Merchant Tailor--G.O. Andrews.

Blacksmith Shops--Crow & Ham; Wm. Seaney; F.P. & W. Hoke; J.M. Cummins; H.W. Bury.

Millinery--Mrs. M.A. Rickets.

Harness Stores--James Dedman; Wm. Thunemann.

Dentists--S. Trowbridge; J.C. Brooks.

Livery Stables--P.B. Gillham; A.F. Robinson.

Insurance Agent--Samuel E. Smyser; W.T.J. Rose; G.W. Pain.

Photograph Galleries--A.S. Creech; R.T. Ring.

Stock Dealers and Shippers--Bland & Thomason.

Abstractor of Titles--J.H. Waggoner & Co.

Carpenters’ Shops--J.N. & G.M. Williams; Rogers & Williams; Taylor & Fletcher; L.T. Haggerman; Geo. Hoke; W.F. Bushman.

Marble Yards--J.G. Baker; Tichenor & Leffingwell; F. Sons.

Florist--W.F. Bushman.

Butcher Shops--J.N. Jones; Douglas & Gunn; B.F. Sentel.

Sewing Machine Agents--E.J. Gillham; Stricklin & Hill, G.O. Andrews.

Churches--Methodist Episcopal; Christian; Cumberland Presbyterian.

Grain Dealers--T.M. Bushfield; E. Anderson; Kirkwood & Gilbert; G.W. Pain.

Barbers--Riley Norton; George Robinson.

Eureka Paint Shop--Kellar & Duncan.

Lumber Merchants--M. McDonald; _____ Raymond.


Sullivan Chapter, No. 128, R.A.M (*Royal Arch Masons)., was chartered October 9th, 1868, with the following membership: J.B. Titus, H.P.; W.B. Kilner, K.; J.H. Waggoner, James Eart, T.M. Bushfield, S.W. Wright, T.Y. Lewis, E.L. Shepherd, Lee Yarbrough, Benjamin Freeman, and H.H. Atchison. The present officers are, J.H. Waggoner, H.P.; J.H. Dunscomb, K; S.W. Wright, S.; M.Tichenor, Secretary; M. Ausbacher, Treasurer; Peter Cofer, C. of H.; W.B. Townsend, P.S.; W.H. Shinn, R.A.C.; Geo. Mayer, M. 3d V.; T.M. Bushfield, M. 2d V.; F.E. Ashworth, M. 1st V.; Samuel Peters, T.

Templestowe Commandery No. 46, Knights Templar, granted a dispensation November 11th, 1874, and chartered October 26th, 1875, with the following officers: Geo. E. Millan, E.C.; W.B. Kilner, G.; J.R. Duncan, C.G.; D.F. Stearns, P.; Jno. H. Dunscomb, Treasurer; D.G. Lindsay, R.; S.W. Wright, S.W.; W.B. Townsend, J.W.; M. Tichenor, S.B.; E.L. Morrell, Sword B.; Peter Cofer, W.; J.W. Pearce, C. of G.; Present officers, J.H. Dunscomb, E.C.; A.K. Campbell, G.; J.R. Duncan, C.G.; D.E. Stearns, P.; J.W. Pursell, S.W.; Peter Cofer, J.W.; S.W. Wright, Treasurer; J.K. Muncie, R.; M. Tichenor, S.B.; A.M. Green, Sword B.; F.E. Ashworth, W.; Robt. Cunningham, C. of B. Full membership twenty-one.

Moultrie Lodge, No. 158, I.O.O.F. (*Independent Order of Odd Fellows), was organized August 23d, 1854. The first officers were--J.R. Eden, N.G.; Wm. A. Clements, V.G.; D.D. Randolph, Secretary; J.B. Wright, Treasurer. The present officers are--M.C. Pinckly, N.G.; J.A. Stricklin, V.G.; W.C. Gilbert, R Secretary; P.B. Gillham, P.S.; W.F. Bushman, Treasurer; R.P. McPheters, Rep. to Grand Lodge. The present membership 43.

Okaw Lodge, No. 623, K. of H., was organized May 16th, 1877, with twelve charter members. The first officers were--C.L. Roane, P.D.; J.H. Waggoner, D.; B.W. Brockway, V.D.; M. McDonald, A.D.; J.H. Dunscomb, C.; A.E.D. Scott, G.; S.M. Smyser, R.; W.W. Peckman, F.R.; W.C. Gilbert, Treasurer; D.F. Bristow, I.G.; George Dawson, O.S. Present officers:--J.H. Dunscomb, P.D.; J.C. Stanley, D.; W.W. Eden, V.D.; A.F. Robinson, A.D.; W.C. Gilbert, R.B.; W. Brockway, F.R.; D.F. Bristow, T.; Geo. P. Chapman, Guide; J.H. Waggoner, Chapman A.E.; D. Scott, G.M. Ausbacher, S. Present membership 14.

Anchor Lodge, No. 105, Knights and Ladies of Honor, was organized December 9th, 1878, with twenty charter members. First officers:--Mrs. Laura E. Waggoner, P.; Mrs. Theresa Ausbacher, V.P.; A.C. Mouser, Secretary; B.W. Brockway, F.C.; Mrs. Elizabeth A. Robinson, Treasurer; A.E.D. Scott, C.; George P. Chapman, G.; W.W. Peckham, G.; W.W. Eden, S.; X.B. Trower, P.P. Present officers:--Mrs. Theresa Ausbacher, P.; E.M. Robinson, V.P.; B.W. Brockway, F.S.; Geo. P. Chapman, Secretary; L.E. Eden, C.; A.F. Robinson, Guide; M. Ausbacher, G.; W.W. Eden, S.; Mrs. A.L. Peckham, Treasurer.

Sullivan Lodge, No. 42, I.O.G.T. (* International Organisation of Good Templars), was organized May 3d, 1877, with sixty-eight charter members. First officers were Dr. J.C. Brooks, W.C.T.; Christian Freeland, W.V.T.; Dr. A.L. Kellar, W.C.; T.B. Rhodes, W.R. Secretary; C.B. Lewis, W.A.S.; A. Vaughn, W.F.S.; J.H. Waggoner, W. Treasurer; John Williams, W.M.; Alice Freeland, W.D.M.; Addie E. Kellar, W.I.G.; John Stricklin, W.O.G.; Laura E. Waggoner, W.L.H.S.; J.E. Kellar, W.R.H.S.; O. Snyder, P.W.C.T.; Dr. T.Y. Lewis, L.D.; Present officers--B.F.G. Hagerman, W.C.T.; Jennie Hunt, W.V.T.; Reuben Lynn, W.C.; S.G. Creviston, W.R.S.; Anna Evertt, W.A.S.; J. Clark Hall, W.T.S.; A.J. Beveridge, W.T.; Samuel Raymond, W.M.; Sarah Dillsaver, W, D.M.; Nellie Compton, W.I.G.; Samuel B. Hall, W.O.G.; Mrs. Kate William, W.L.H.S.; Mrs. Mollie Eviston, W.L.H.S.; W.E. Blackmer, P.W.C.T.; T.B. Stringfield, L.D. There is at present a membership of seventy, and the organization is in splendid working order, with an average attendance of about fifty.

Alma Council, No. 3, Royal Templars of Temperance, received its charter February 19, 1970, with fifteen members. The first officers were: J.D. Spitler, S.C.; I.J. Mouser, V.C.; J.C. Brooks, P.C.; E.S. Wamsley, Chap.; B.F. Stocks, R.S. and F.S.; N.O. Smyser, H.; Mrs. Cora Mouser, D.H.; Mrs. Lottie Brooks, G.; Peter Cofer, Sent.; Dr. A.L. Kellar, M.E. Present officers are J.D. Spitler, S.C.; A.L. Kellar, V.C.; J.C. Brooks, P.C.; A.C. Mouser, C.; T.B. Stringfield, R.S.; A.P. Greene, F.S.; E.E. Fleming, H.; Mrs. Emma Stringfield, D.H.; Mrs. Kate Williams, Guard; Peter Cofer, S.; Dr. A.L. Kellar, M.E. There is at present a membership of thirty-three, and the lodge is in good standing.

* Editor's note: the full name of the secret societies is conjectural, based on research.  If you have additional information, please contact the webmaster.


is a small village post-office and station on the Chicago division of the W.S.F.L. and P. R.R., situated on the N.E. 1/4 of the S.E. 1/4 of Section 15-14-5. It was surveyed and platted by Abraham Jones, county surveyor, for William Hoggatt, the original proprietor, July 30, 1872. The first building was a store-house, erected by Mr. Hoggatt soon after it was laid out. There is one general store kept by J.H. Dunscomb, a blacksmith shop operated by Z. Taylor, and Kirkwood & Gilbert, dealers in grain, which constitutes the business. There are about a half dozen houses in the place. It has a good store trade, and large quantities of grain are annually shipped from this place.

Hampton Station, is situated on the line of the P.D. & E.R.R., on Section thirty of 14-5. H.E. Hampton conducts a general store, and is post-master of Dunn Post-office, located at this point.

The census of 1880 gives Sullivan township a population of 3,692.


In the spring of 1857, the citizens of Moultrie county began discussing the propriety of organizing an agricultural society in the county, and an organization was effected the year following.

Arrangements were made, however, for holding a fair in the fall of 1857, in an open piece of ground half a mile south-east of Sullivan, and it was a grand success for the county. This fair, though not held under a regular organization, was denominated the first fair of Moultrie county.

About the middle of April, 1858, notice was given for a meeting of citizens of the county, to be held at Sullivan, May 1, 1858, by E.E. Waggoner, then editor of the Sullivan Express--now of the Shelby county Democrat--for the purpose of effecting a permanent organization. The meeting was held and organized by the election of David Patterson, chairman, and E.E. Waggoner, secretary. Articles of preliminary organization were drawn up at this meeting and signed by a number of the prominent citizens, among whom were B.W. Henry, Sr., B.W. Hnery, Jr., J.H. Waggoner, E.E. Waggoner, David Patterson, J.H. Snyder, J.W.R. Morgan, Samuel M. Smyser, D.D. Randolph, A.B. Lee, Elihu Welton, John Roney, John Rhodes, A.M. Braun, Elijah Bridwell, M. Kliver, J.R. Eden, J.A. Freeland, J.W.R. Morgan, A.B. Lee and B.W. Henry, Sr., were then appointed a committee to draft a constitution and by-laws for the association.

A meeting was again held May 15th, 1858, when the committee on constitution and by-laws made their report, and a permanent organization was effected by adopting the report, and electing as permanent officers fo the society: J.W.B. Morgan, President; David Patterson, Vice President; E.E. Waggoner, Secretary; Elijah Bridwell, Treasurer; John Rhodes, John Roney, M. Kliver, A.M. Braun and Samuel M. Smyser, Directors. The name given to the organization was--”The Moultrie County Agricultural Society,” and the object stated to be for the promotion of Agriculture, Horticulture, and the Mechanical arts. The first fair ground was located near where the first fair was held, south-east of Sullivan, and was used as such until the year 1872, when it was moved and located north-west of Sullivan, one-half mile, where the fairs of the county have been held ever since. The building on the old ground consisted of one hall, 18 x 36 feet, with about 100 stalls for stock, besides pens for hogs and sheep. The new ground has two halls; one the same as the old one, and the other of an oblong shape, about 40 feet long and twenty feet in the centre, other out buildings, and about 176 stalls for horses, cattle and mules, and pens sufficient for other stock. A splendid amphitheatre stands near the halls, with Judges’ stand, and exhibition stand in front of it. A half-mile tract, one of the best in the state, is located in the grounds.

While the citizens of the county took a deep interest in the first fair, the exhibitions of stock were far inferior to the present exhibitions, which are the outgrowth of well-conducted county fairs. At present, the exhibition of cattle, hogs and sheep are almost entirely of a thoroughbred class, whereas, in the first ones, none but common and graded stock were shown. The improvement in the horses of the present, are not so marked as that of the other stock. The fairs of the county have been heretofore managed on a pro rata system, but an effort is being made, and it is thought will succeed, to organize the society on a permanent joint-stock basis.

The present officers of the association are:--O.A. Sargent, President; J.T. Howell and John Dawson, Vice President; P.B. Gillham, Treasurer; Geo. W. Vaughn, Secretary; Cirectors,--T.H. Crowder, S.P. Lilly, James Bence, C.C. Bergs, R.E. Nazworthy, Reuben Adkins, and William Kirkwood. Among those most prominent in the perpetuation of the society, are T.H. Crowder, J.E.Eden, J.H. Snyder, O.A. Sargeant, John T. Howell, John Dawson, Wm. Kirkwood, C.C. Berks, Dock Patterson, A.N. Smyser, Jo. B. Taylor, S.P. Lilly, Elihu Welton, Col Morgan, G.W. Vaughn, and others.

The organization retained its first name until the year 1872, when it was changed to its present name to conform to a law passed by the Legislature of the state, approved April 17th, 1871, entitled,--”An Act to create a Department of Agriculture in the State of Illinois;” which act requires that the state board should provide for the organization of the county boards of agriculture in the State of Illinois; “which act requires that the state board should provide for the organization of the county boards of agriculture, in order that they might be recognized by law as legal organizations, and be entitled to the appropriations, made by the state, for the benefit and encouragement of Agriculture in the state.

The present fair grounds consist of 40 acres of ground, and although in the prairie, will soon be shaded by trees set out since the location. The fairs of the county have been like all other businesses, to some extent; sometimes very successful, and at others almost a failure; but, through the untiring energy of a few men of the county, Moultrie is now second to but few counties, in the central portion of the state, in the display of stock of all kinds--much of which is owned in the county--agricultural, horticultural, floral, mechanical, kitchen, and dairy products.