Moultrie County (sic) ('Lovington Twp.') deserves favorable mention from the fact that it was among the first settled, and contains some of the richest farming land in this section of the country; splendid farms and farm-improvements abound throughout its territory. It is situated in the extreme northern central part of the county, bounded on the north by Piatt county, with Lowe and Jonathan creek townships on the east; on the south by Sullivan and west by Dora and Marrowbone. It is rectangular in shape, and contains 32,926 acres of improved land, valued at $328,819, without any land not under improvement. The surface lies gently undulating, and has excellent facilities for good drainage. Numerous streams wind through the township, the largest of which is the West Okaw, which extends nearly north and south through its entire western part. It is thus well calculated for both general agriculture and stock-raising. The Midland, Wabash, St. Louis and Pacific Railroads cross at nearly right angles in about the center of the township.
The first land entered was by James Cunningham, May 17th, 1830; the W. half of the S.E. quarter of section 29, T. 15, R. 5 E.
The second entry was made by Zenas N. Prather, July 1st, of the same year, and described as follows: the W. half of the N.E. quarter of section 32, T. 15 R. 5 E.
Oct. 25th, 1830, Joshua Selby entered the E. half of the S.W. quarter of section 10, R. 14, R. 5 E. At the same date, Jacob Pea entered the W. half of the S.W. quarter of the above section, town and range.
William H. Martin entered the S.E. quarter of section 28, T. 15, R. 5 E. on the 15th of November, 1830.
We have only given a few of the first entries, but think they will prove of interest to not only the present but to coming generations.
Made in this township were prior to the organization of Moultrie, and when it was a part of Macon county. The first two settlers were John Davidson and William Martin, in 1829, who settled on the S.E. quarter of section 28. The former, better known in his day as "Johnny Slick," came from Macoupin county in the fall of 1829, and squatted on the above-named section, in the edge of the Okaw timber, where he built a small log cabin. The roof was of the primitive clap-board style, fastened down with knee and weight-poles, while the chimney was constructed simply of mud and sticks. The family remained here but a short time, when they left for parts unknown.
William H. Martin settled about three hundred yards south-west of Davidson, on what is now known as the Clore branch, where he constructed a double log cabin, very much in the style of the above-mentioned. He was a blacksmith by trade, and erected a rude shop at this point, where the ring of the first anvil sounded in the township. He was a good mechanic and a genius withal, constructing his own bellows and most of his mechanical tools. In the fall of 1833 he sold out his possessions to Col. Allen Clore, who wtill occupies the same ground. Martin afterwards moved with his family to Fayette county, Ill.
Another old settler, James Cunningham, sen., came from Clark county, Ind., in the spring of 1830, and located on the west side of the West Okaw, on sec. 29-15-5. He had a large family of children, and commenced paving his way for a livelihood by tilling the soil, where now many of his descendants still live. He died at the old homestead about the year 1846. The first election held in this precinct, (then Macon county) was at his residence, in 1832, where the votes were polled for several years thereafter.
In 1830, Joshua Selby came from Indiana, and settled on sec. 10-14-5. He had quite a large family, some of whom are still residing in the county,--Nicholas Selby, near Cushman, being one well known in this part of the country.
Jacob Pea came about the same time and located a little west of Selby. Several good citizens of Moultrie still represent the name.
Zenas N. Prather, another old settler, and son-in-law of James Cunningham, came the same year as his father-in-law, 1830.
The name of Rhodes is well known throughout the county. This family have descended from John Rhodes, a native of Indiana, who settled with a large family on section 7-14-5, in 1831. One of the daughters is now the wife of Isaac Souther, who resides in Texas. Others of the family are still living on or near the old place.
Among the most enterprising of the settlers of those days was Henry Snyder, a native of Virginia, who migrated here with a large family in Oct., 1831. He located on section 27, about half a mile west of where the village of Lovington now stands, on the Springfield road. Prior to this, that is in the spring of the smae year, he had preceded his family, and located 960 acres of land lying a little north and west of Lovington, where he erected a log cabin, fenced in forty acres, and raised a small crop. He then returned to Kentucky, where his family still resided, and proceeded to remove them and his possessions to his new-found home. They came in two farm-wagons drawn by oxen, and a light two-horse spring wagon. Among his effects was a good supply of provisions and clothing, with fifty-two head of cattle, and ten or twelve fine Kentucky horses. It would be superflous to say that he ranked among the first of his neighbors. He moved to Decatur in 1836, where he lived until his death, 1863. His only representative in this county is J.H. Snyder, now residing in Sullivan.
Nathan Stephens, also a native of Virginia, came from Kentucky, and settled about a mile and a half S.W. from Lovington, in the latter part of 1831. He had two sons, Henry and William; the former was elected the second sheriff of the county. Nathan, the father, died suddenly by a stroke of lightning, many years ago.
Among the most prominent and active men of those early times was Abraham H. Kellar, a native of Virginia. His parents moved to Tennessee when he was but an infant, and thence to Kentucky, where he grew to manhood, and, at the age of twenty-one, married Miss Nancy J. Hitt. In the fall of 1831, Joel, his eldest son, in company with Nathan Stephens, moved with ox-teams to what is now Lovington township. Stephens stopped on section 3-14-5. Joel remained with Mr. Stephens until the fall of the following year. Abraham and three of his sons, however, came early in the spring of 1832, and raised a crop of corn, and in the fall returned and brought the family.
Mr. Abraham H. Kellar figures largely in this history, as among the first brains of the county, and further mention of him will be found in the pioneer and civil chapters. The only survivors of Abraham H. Kellar now living in the county are Elder H.Y. Kellar, of Lovington, and Dr. A.L. Kellar, of Sullivan, both representative citizens.
In the spring of 1832 Joseph and Solomon Hostetler, two brothers, and natives of Kentucky, located in this township. Joseph settled on what is now the farm of OlT. Atchison, south of Lovington. He was a Christian minister, and helped to organize the first Christian Church in this part of the county; he also practiced medicine. He died here August 27, 1870. His only descendants in the county are: Frank L. and C.M.L. Hostetler, engaged now in the drug trade in Lovington. Solomon has no descendants in the county.
Abraham Souther, another old settler, was a native of Virginia, and removed with his father's family to Kentucky when he was quite a small boy. Here he grew to manhood and married Catharine Hardin, by whom he had a large family, mostly boys. In 1832he moved to Illinois and settled on section 33, 15-5 Lovington township. He erected a small hewed log cabin, and laid out his work for a permanent settlement. He was an enterprising man, and to him is due the honor of constructing the first and only water mill in this part of the county. He died in 1858 at a good old age, enjoying the fruits of his labors.
Samuel Finley migrated to this township from Indiana at an early day, and in 1833 sold his improvements to David Howell, who was a native of Kentucky. Mr. Howell had a family of seven children, all of whom are dead, except Elizabeth, who lives in Champaign county, and Charles, residing a little north of Lovington. The latter has one of the finest farms and farm-houses that the county can boast of. As a stock-raiser and thrifty farmer, he ranks among the first in the state.
Col. Allen Clore, a native of Kentucky, was born in 1810; he came to this county in the year 1833, and bought out William Martin, as has been already stated. In an early day he married a Kentucky lady, and from this marriage quite a large family was born, five of whom are now living in the county. The Colonel is still a hale old man upwards of seventy years of age.
William Wood was born in the Carolinas, and afterwards migrated to Kentucky. In 1833 he moved to Moultrie; he raised a large family of children; several of his representatives still live here; and rank among the first citizens of the county. Henry Wood, a brother of William, also came in an early day, and settled in the same section of country. Those of the family still reside here, or near the old home.
Among other earlier settlers were the Caziers, the Newlands, the Samson family, John and Andrew Love, Joh Poor, Tobias Rhodes, William and Henry Bailey, Alexander Porter, F.W. Maddox, the Roland family, the Fosters, the Newlands, Elihu Welton, Joseph Hartman, Hiram Luster, the Knights, Edward Keedy, and the Deeds family.
The latter, George Deeds and family, were formerly from Ohio, and moved to this county about 1835. It is related that the old gentleman, George Deeds, when a boy, was taken prisoner by the Sandusky Indians and grew up among them, marrying one of the tribe. He remained with them for several years, until they made a raid upon the whites, when he left them and made his way to Pittsburg, Pa. He afterwards married, reared a family and moved to Illinois, as above stated. In the winter of the "sudden freeze" two of his sons were forzen to death while returning from Lake Fork, where they had been in search for hogs. It was twelve days after the storm that they were found. One was in a kneeling attitude, apparently about to kindle a fire, as he had a steel and flint in his hand, with punk and a tuft of grass lying by his side. His brother was lying on the ground near him, while one of their horses stood close by, nearly starved to death, with his bridle rein frozen in the ice. Wild game abounded largely in those days, such as deer, wild turkeys, ducks and geese, prairie chickens, and several species of the furry tribe. These served among the early settlers as articles of food and commerce.
First Death--Probably the first death in the township was the father of Wm. Martin, who died in 1832, and his remains were interred in the Snyder burying ground, situated on what is now Col. Clore's farm. The first child born, as nearly as can be ascertained was a babe of Wm. Martin; of the exact date of this birth we can give no authentic account. Among the early marriages were Joel Kellar to Mildred Snyder, in May, 1833; the ceremony was performed by Elder Joseph Hostetler. The following April, Elder Hostetler also united in the holy bonds of wedlock, Albert G. Snyder and Elizabeth Kellar.
The first graveyard was the private ground of Henry Snyder, and situated about half a mile west of Lovington village, on section 28, now owned by Col. Clore; there were only about twenty persons buried here. The first school taught in the township was at the private residence of Solomon Hostetler, in the winter of 1832-3, by Mary Hostetler, the wife of the above. Among her pupils were H.Y. Kellar, A.L. Kellar, Wm. Souther, Mary Ann Souther, Rebecca Selby, Sarah Selby, Newton, Joh, and Nancy Hostetler. A description of the house and the manner of teaching will be found in the chapter on schools. The first school-house was built in 1834, on section 28, 15-5, in the Snyder settlement. It was constructed in the primitive log school-house style, and the first school taught in it was in the fall and winter of 1834-5, by John Allen. The house was afterwards moved to the village of Lovington, where it still stands on a lot just west of the Lovington hotel. For other early teachers see early school history. At present there are ten school districts outside of the village, and all have neat, commodious school buildings, where school is taught the greater part of the year.
The first sermon preached in the township was by Elder Joseph Hostetler, at the house of Nathan Stephens, in the fall of 1832. Rev. Jacob Swaford, Rev. Bird, and Elders A.H. Kellar, Bushrod W. Henry, John W. Tyler, and Rev. Wm. Crissey, were among the pioneer preachers in this township.
The first church was built by the Christian demonination on section 3, now included within the Lovington Cemetery. This was a frame building, 24 x 30 feet, erected in the spring of 1845. The old frame structure still stands upon the original site, a memento of the days of yore. It is now seated for school use, and occupied as such. Until 1857 this was the only church building in the township.
Among the first justices of the peace we are able to mention Henry Snyder, A.H. Kellar, Geo. Hewitt, and William R. Lee. Dr. John G. Speer, whose residence was near Decatur, was the first regular physician. The first resident physicians, however, were Dr. William Kellar and Dr. Hendricks. At an early day, before physicians were to be had, the old settlers practiced among themselves, using domestic remedies, such as roots and herbs that they were familiar with. A.H. Kellar and Joseph Hostetler, became famous practitioners under this kind of Thompsonian system. Steaming the patients for all diseases, under that practice then, was as popular as bleeding used to be under the old school regime. It is said these sons of Bolus tried the steaming operation upon a case of rheumatism, and it worked admirably. In course of time Dr. A.H. Kellar(?) was taken down with the malarial fever, and Uncle Jose Hostetler called in to perform the steaming process. The result was, the patient grew worse, and it was with the greatest skill that his life was saved. From this experiment they concluded that the theory might do for rheumatism, but was not worth a continental for bilious fever.
The earliest mill built in the township was a grist-mill, by A.H. Kellar, on section 34, 15-5, in the fall of 1832, soon after his removal here. It was a "Stump Mill" propelled by horse power. It was constructed over a stump, and the whole machinery revolved as the horses passed around. This mill cost about $50. In 1838 Mr. Kellar built another mill, costing about $150, and was a great improvement on the former. Again in 1844, he built still another at a cost of $250. This was constructed of cast-iron, and had French burrs. This, it is said, was the best of the kind in this part of the State; people came from thirty or forty miles to have their milling done.
The first steam mill in the township was built by Colonel Allen Clore, in 1852. It was a saw-mill, and constructed on his farm. A water saw-mill was built on the West Okaw, in section 32, in 1843, by Abraham Souther. It had a Parker cast-iron water wheel and a vertical saw. This was the first and only water mill in the township. The first merchandise sold in this territory was by A.H. Kellar, who kept a small stock of goods in one of the rooms of his house. This was in 1833. He bought his goods in Louisville, and had them shipped to Terre Haute, where they were carted in wagons to his place. This was the only store in the township until those established in the town of Lovington. The first fine stock introduced was a Durham bull in 1835, by William Snyder, since which time weveral enterprising men in the township have made fine stock raising a speciality.
The old plowed-furrow Springfield road which passed through the present village of Lovington was the first one made in this part of the county. It extended from Paris, Edgar county, to Springfield, and was surveyed about 1828. This was the only public highway in the township until the organization of the county. The first settlements were made on this road west of Lovington. As they were scattered along for several miles this part of the township became known as Stringtown. At this writing it abounds with good roads and substantial bridges. In short, the township is one of the best improved and wide awake in the county. Two tiel factories have been recently constructed near the village of Lovington, one by Jas. A. Gregory, the other by Jasper Dyer. The latter was built in 1877, the former in 1879. They each have a capacity of manufacturing about 200,000 feet of tile per annum.
The following are the supervisors and the time of their election since township organization to present time: Alesander Porter, elected in 1867; and re-elected in 1868 and served until 1872. George Hetherington elected in 1872, and served till 1874; he was chairman of the board for the year 1873. Joel Freeman was elected in 1874, and served one year. W. Weakly elected for 1875, Jas. A. Gregory elected in the spring of 1876, and served until 1878. Arnold Thomason elected in 1878, and afterwards resigned, when H.Y. Kellar was appointed to fill the vacancy. F.M. Porter was elected in 1879, and served one year. H.M. Minor was elected in 1880, and is the present incumbent.
The present site of this thriving place was originally entered by the following parties, the S.E. 1/4 of section 27 by A.H. Kellar; the W 1/2 of the N.E. 1/4 by John Love, and the S.W. 1/4 also the S.E. 1/4 of the N.W. 1/4, by Colonel Allen Clore, all of section 27.
The first building, erected with these limits was the old Black Horse Tavern in 1838, by James Kellar. It was a two story building and was located just south of where the Benson House now stands. The same well that was used for the Black Horse is still used by the Benson House. The Paris and Decatur stage-line passed by the tavern, and three times a day the old stage horn might have been heard sounding over the prairie. The post-office was established about the same time the Black Horse tavern was built, and was kept by Andrew Love at his private dwelling about half a mile west of the tavern. It was afterwards for a short time in charge of John Love at his residence, and finally moved to the Black Horse tavern. It was named Lovington after Andrew Love, the first post-master, from which the village and township both received their names.
The first building in the village proper, after the Black Horse, was built in the fall of 1849 by Elijah Wingate. It was a small frame dwelling, and occupied the lot where the residence of Andrew Foster now stands. The timber for the frame was hewn by Mr. Wingate; the lumber was sawed at Souther's mill on the West Okaw. The third house was built in the spring of 1850, by John Tiffin. It was a log building, and was constructed for a dwelling. Mr. Tiffin had an aged wife and several children who lived in a covered wagon until the house was completed. The next house was a log dwelling, built by Edward Bell soon after Tiffin's was completed. These buildings were built on a small patch of land that the above parties had purchased from Colonel Allen Clore. In the spring of the same year, Parnell Hamilton, then surveyor of Moultrie county, was employed by Colonel Clore, Edward Bell, Madison Tiffin, son of John Tiffin, and George Turflinger, to survey and plot a part of the N.E. 1/4 of the S.W. 1/4 of section 27. This formed a nucleus from which the village of Lovington has grown and prospered.
In 1850 Dr. L.S. Spore built a storehouse just west of the present business house of Andrew Foster on State Street. It was afterwards moved farther east, and is now occupied by Thomas E. Whitney for a furniture room. The first blacksmithing done in the village was by William Spidell; and in the summer of 1851, John Patterson conducted a wagon and general repairing shop in the western part of the village. In the fall of 1851, Stephen Cannon built the second store-house, and put in a general stock of merchandise. This stood on the north-east corner os School and State streets. The third store was built by E. Wingate and conducted by Gregor, and Foster. The building is now occupied by M.T. Shepherd as a bank. Several residences were later built, that is, up to 1860. But it was not until the railroads were constructed, that it took a decided impetus, since which, and to present writing will be duly noticed at the close of the chapter.
The first school-house erected in the town was about 1854. It was a frame building 24 X 40 feet, and cost $1300.50. It occupied the site where the present new one now stands; it was subsequently sold and moved near the Illinois Midland depot, where it is now used for a grain office. The present neat building was erected under the directorship of Stephen Cannon, E. Bridwell, and William C. Dawson at a cost of over $5,000. It contains four rooms, and is two-stories in height, with belfry and every other convenience of a well regulated house for a graded school. The M.E. Church was the first built in the village. It is a neat frame structure, with spire and bell. It was erected in 1857, at a cost of $2200. The Christian Church was the second church building erected, and cost $3,000. It is a frame house 16 x 54 feet with a tasty belfry, etc. Much honor is due to the following who were trustees, for their aid in its construction; Noah Hostetler, William Rhodes, and Elijah Wingate. The Seventh Day Advent Church was built in 1873. It is a frame building about 30 x 40 feet in size, and cost, including grounds, $700.
Lovington Cemetery--This is situated one and a half miles south of the village, and was first owned and under the control of A.H. Kellar for a private burial-ground. The first person interred here was William, the son of Samuel Montgomery, in the summer of 1837. It remained a long time a private place of burial, but no one was ever refused the privilage of burying their dead here. In the spring of 1880, through the efforts of Geo. Heatherington and some others, three acres of land were added to it, and it became township property, with Geo. Heatherington, John Dixon and H.Y. Kellar as trustees, and to be called the Lovington Cemetery.
Incorporation--The village of Lovington was incorporated in April, 1873. The first election of officers was held June 19, of the same year. The following officers were elected: William Weakley, president; James Foster, W.M. Earp, Z.T. Banks, H.M. Minor and J.N. Bishop, trustees; T.H. McCord, clerk. The present board are: W.C. Dawson, president; Samuel Morthland, Frank Landers, John Gibeson, Wm. McMullen and Joseph Michaels, trustees; L.H. Pollard, treasurer; H.M. Minor, city atty., and J.H. Grove, clerk. The following have been post-masters since Andrew Love, the first appointee; John Love, James Kellar, Elijah Wingate, Stephen Cannon, Mr. Lininger, Geo. Baker, Moses Thayer, C.M. Hamilton and others. W.C. Foster is the present incumbent, and has held the position several years, with credit to himself and pleasure to the people.
Lovington Steam Flouring Mill--This mill was erected by S.H. Merrell, in 1868, at a cost of about $7,000. It contains two run of burrs, and a capacity of two hundred bushels per twelve hours, and is considered one of the best mills in the county.
Banks--Merchants' and Farmers' Bank was established in 1872, by S.H. Morrell, who is the proprietor, and does an immense business. Z.T. Banks is the cashier, who has the entire confidence of the people. The Time Deposit Bank, was established as early as 1868, when a few years afterwards the name was changed to the Home and Time Deposit Bank, which name it still retains. M.T. Shepherd is the proprietor, and an excellent business man.
The Weekly Enterprise was established November 26, 1879, by Biddlecome & Priest, and is now owned and edited by Biddlecome & Tobey. It is a five column quarto of eight pages. It is neatly executed and ably edited. The Lovington Index was established in 1875, and was the first paper in the township, but only existed a few years.
General Merchandise--Andrew Foster, F. & J. Landers; Dickson & Co., and E. Wingate.
Dry Goods--Nathan Cheever.
Drugs--A.R. Pifer, A.F. Thayer, and Hostetler & Bros.
Hardware, etc.--W.E. Horne & Co, McAnnally, Pollard & Co.
Groceries--L.H. Pollard & Co., and L.G. Brown.
Restaurants--J.H. Michaels, B.M. Hull, James Daley, and Clark & Bros.
Shoe Shops--T.H. Curtis, J.S. Parrett, C.S. Hawley.
Millinery--Miss Emma Bensley, Mrs. A.G. Foster.
Agricultural Implements--C.M. Ewing, W.E. Horne & Co.
Grain Dealers--A.D. Rebok, Wm. McMullen, McAnnally, Pollard & Co.
Harness Shops--J.H. Gibeson, John Fellible.
Livery Stables--S.W. Morthland and Dawson Bros.
Furniture--Thos. E. Whitney.
Meat Markets--Dawson & Alsmon, Samuel Strickler.
Wagon and Blacksmith Shops--F. Tally, J.D. Shirey, and T.E. Whitney.
Lumber--McAnnally, Pollare & Co.
Physicians and Surgeons--N.D. Cone, S.S. Wallace, M.J. Anderson, T.R. O'Dell, Levi Hostetler.
Jewelry--Spelbring & Pifer.
Music Store--J.H. Grove.
Barbers--L. Reithmiller, C.W. Hume.
Photograph Gallery--W.C. Pitner.
Hotels--Benson House, Mrs. M.E. Benson, Proprietor; Hamilton House, C.M. Hamilton, Proprietor; Gregory House, C.E. Foster, Proprietor; Lovington Hotel, E. Wingate, Proprietor.
Insurance Agents--W.C. Foster, H.M. Minor, W.G. Cochran, Isaac Landers.
Sewing Machine Agents--F. & J. Landers, Spelbring & Pifer, J.H. Grove.
Lovington Cornet Band was organized September 26th, 1877; it has 13 members, and is led by Walter Benson.
LOVINGTON LODGE, No. 228, A.F.& A.M. (*Ancient Free and Accepted Masons). This lodge was established November 5th, 1856, and received its charter October 7th, 1857. The first officers were, Wm. B. Porter, W.M.; John Bradley, S.W.; James M. Williams, J.W.; Henry C. Shepherd, Secretary; Alfred Thayer, Treasurer; Wm. B. Peniwell, S.D.; James Escridge, J.D.; James Bennett, Ty. The present officers are, W.G. Cochran, W.M.; T.F. Reynolds, S.W.; B. Cheever, J.W.; C.M.L. Hostetler, Secretary; W.J. Anderson, Treasurer; Francis Tally, S.D.; C.M. Hamilton, J.D.; T.W. McCravy, Ty. The lodge is in a good financial condition.
Lovington Chapter, R.A.M. (*Royal Arch Masons)., No. 171, was established June 1st, 1875, and chartered October 28th, 1875. The first officers were, W.G. Cochran, H.P.; Joel Freeman, King; D.C. Chase, Scribe; Geo. Harris, Capt. Host; J.A. Gregory, P.S.; T.N. Funston, R.A.C.; C.L. Nichols, Treasurer; B. Cheever, Secretary; J.W. Perett, G.M. 3d Vail; C.M. Milligan, G.M. 2d V.; T.F. Reynolds, G.M. 1st V.; A.K. Campbell, Ty; M.J. Anderson, Chaplain. The present officers are, W.G. Cochran, H.P.; D.C. Chase, Scribe; Francis Tally, C.H.; J.A. Gregory, P.S.; B. Cheever, R.A.C.; J.W. Perett, G.M. 1st V.; T.N. Funsten, G.M. 2d V.; F. Landers, G.M. 3rd V.; O.T. Atchison, Treasurer; T.A. Collett, Secretary; T.F. Reynolds, Ty. This chapter is in a flourishing condition.
Lovington Lodge, No. 593, I.O.O.F. (*Independent Order of Odd Fellows), was chartered October 14th, 1875. The charter members were as follows: W.W. Wilkins, N.G.; Lewis Reithmiller, V.G.; J.N. Bishop, Recording Secretary; Daniel Funk, Treasurer; Joseph Speers, Permanent Secretary. The present officers are, J.D. Shirey, N.G.; John Landers, V.G.; Thomas Curtis, Recording Secretary; A.G. Foster, Permanent Secretary; J.H.Grove, Treasurer. The lodge is in good working order.
Mizpah Lodge, No.
185, I.O.M.A., was organized the 21st of September, 1878, and chartered
on the 18th of November, 1878, with the following officers: Z.T. Banks,
W.P.P.; M.R. Davidson, W.P.; C.M.L. Hostetler, W.V.P.; Geo. H. Wingate,
W.R.S.; F.L. Hostetler, W.F.S.; S.S. Wallace, W.T.; J.H. Dawson, C.M.L.
Hostetler, and W.A.
Empire Lodge, No. 252, I.O.G.T. (* International Organisation of Good Templars), was organized March 27th, 1880. The following are the names of the first officers: H.Y. Kellar, W.C.T.; Mrs. H.Y. Kellar, W.V.T.; Isaac Landers, W.S.; Etta Dixon, W.A.S.; C.P. Yates, W.M.; M.L. Pargeon, D.M.; Frank Tally, W.F.S.; Allen Clore, W.T.; E. Bridwell, W.C.; T.W.D. McCravy, P.W.C.; Annie Stickle, R.H.S.; Lida Morrow, L.H.S.; Charles McCravy, W.S., and Hattie Hostetler, W.I.G. The present officers are, J.W. Funston, W.C.T.; Mrs. H.Y. Kellar, W.V.T.; Etta Dixon, W.S.; H.Y. Kellar, A.S.; J.W. Dawson, W.M.; Laura Bensley, D.M.; C.P. Yates, W.F.S.; J. Clore, W.T.; E. Bridwell, W.C.; Isaac Landers, P.W.C.; Lida Morrow, W.I.G.; Charles Whitford, W.S.; Emma Bensley, R.H.S.; Hattie Gordy, L.H.S.; J.W. Dawson, M.; J.A. Waggoner and Joseph Jerrel, Trustees. Much good has been done by this order.
have thus given a brief history of one of the richest and most populous
townships of Moultrie. Its population according to the census of 1880,
was 2,003, and stands second on the list in the county. With its rich
soil, thrifty farmers, energetic business men, and railroad facilities,
it stands fair to cope with the best in Central Illinois.
Editor's note: the full name of the secret societies is conjectural,
based on research. If you have additional information, please
contact the webmaster.